EAGLE’S NEST STONEY FAMILY SHELTER
The following outlines our mission and our commitment to our families and our community.
The mission of Eagle’s Nest Stoney Family Shelter is to provide an immediate response to victims of family violence in the form of food, clothing, safe shelter, childcare and individual and group counselling. Services provided in the community include public education, counselling and support for perpetrators. Elder guidance services will be utilized on a regular basis both in the shelter and in the community.
From this mission the goals of Eagle’s Nest Shelter are:
- To decrease the incidence of family violence in the Stoney community.
- To increase community awareness with respect to family violence.
- To meet the highest standards of excellence in the quality of our programs and staff.
A Commitment to Clients
- We believe in the inherent worth of every individual regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, marital status or mental or physical ability.
- We believe every client of Eagle’s Nest has a right to dignity, security of person, including safety, privacy and confidentiality.
- We believe that Eagle’s Nest must provide information, assistance and support to clients to empower clients to make decisions towards their various efforts to stop the violence in their lives.
- We believe that the provision of adequate services to Eagle’s Nest clients may require assistance to other persons involved in the client’s life, for example, the client’s partner or children.
- We believe a client’s needs may continue following a stay at the shelter, and that continuing support may therefore be required.
- We believe that the children have needs that are separate and distinct from the needs of their parents or guardians, and that Eagle’s Nest staff have a responsibility to meet those needs.
- We believe our clients have a right to expect the shelter to be managed and administered in a responsible manner and in such a way that adhere to our beliefs.
- We believe Eagle’s Nest has a responsibility to advocate for sufficient resources to address the complex issues of violence within the Stoney community from the perspectives of prevention, crisis intervention, treatment and legal redress.
- We believe in non-violent solutions to resolving conflict.
- We believe that all people have a right to live in a home free from actual or threatened violence and abuse.
- We believe that family violence has far reaching effects on those exposed to it, particularly the risk of it being repeated in their futures.
- We believe that stopping the historical violence requires a multifaceted response including: provision of safe shelter; assistance by trained staff and elders; information and services to its victims and to those who choose to use abusive behaviours; public education; enforcement of appropriate laws.
- We believe the justice system must be held accountable for carrying out its legal responsibilities to victims of violence and abuse.